Tips and Ideas
Archive a Folder
This simple method works in all versions of Outlook Express. The archive consists
of an OE message serving as an "envelope".
- Create a New Mail Message. Enter the name you want for the archive in the
- Drag the messages you wish to archive from the OE message list and drop them
into the New Mail Message. They will be added as attachments.
- Click File| Save as... and save the message to any Windows folder as type
*.eml, and close the New Mail Message window. (The resulting file can then be
compressed in a zip file to greatly reduce its size.)
- To restore the archived messages to an OE mail folder, double-click the saved
*.eml file. Select all the attachments and drag them into an OE mail folder. You
can also of course simply double-click on a single attachment to read it.
- You can also drag messages from a newsgroup and drop them into the "envelope".
To restore them, you must drag them into a mail folder, not a newsgroup folder.
After restoring, you can turn on thread view in mail by clicking View| Current
View| Groups messages by conversation. This setting is independent from the similar
setting in newsgroup folders.
For a more comprehensive approach to archiving messages, see Partial Backup and
Top of page